Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Side Effects

So I am finding the side effects of the medications are pretty extreme and basically ruining my life. I am tired, nauseated 24/7 and I have been emotionally a wreck, bordering on suicidal. I called the doctor today to see what the heck they are doing to me. If it was even helping with the pain I might accept the side effects more willingly, but man am I a bitch to be around ! The nerve pain is definitely dulled and it appears the Lyrica is working but that's about it. I am normally a very even tempered loving person to be around but lately I have isolated myself just to make sure no one sees this side of me. I cry at nothing, I feel constant feelings of despair and sadness and I want to just curl up in a ball and make the world go away. Then the next day I feel fine, like nothing is going on at all! Sad sad sad. This is not me and I want to be my happy confident self again. The hardest part is trying to hide it from everyone else because I don't want them to see me this way.

As for my hip, I have started to feel some dull aching deep down. I have been pretty easy on it but it's beginning to feel sore to walk on. My hamstring is tight again and I can't sit for long periods of time without getting stiff. I am also feeling a tingle in my left butt cheek and pain in the same place it was before the surgery, thinking it may be referred pain from my back. Of course having these stupid kidney stones isn't helping. I haven't been able to afford to get to the pool lately with school starting so I am thinking it may be the change in my activity level on it. Reading other accounts though this seems like the magic time where people feel increased pain and I am hoping it is part of the healing process. If anyone is more familiar with this time frame I would appreciate some information.

2 comments:

  1. Erin get off this medication. I haven't known you long but even I can see your shift in mood you are really suffering...they'll have to give you something else! Is it the lyrica?
    Is it your operated hip thats playing up? sounds similar symptoms to mine and I've been told that my muscles and tendons have adapted incorrectly and add to pain. I bet you its your piriformis, look it up and it over works when hip buggered, i know fixed now, but your body needs to catch up.

    Get off the shitty meds and come back Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell if it's the Lyrica or the Oxycontin. The doctor never called back today so I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow.
    It's my operated hip that is definitely acting up. My incision sites are super sore and it hurts to touch them. The muscles so far just feel like my hamstring and my glutes, something I can work on when my mind is ready to start again.
    Thanks for caring Louisa ... pretty much the only person who does and your virtual !!!! /hug

    ReplyDelete