Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

5 Weeks Post-op

Had my appointment yesterday for my 3rd post-op followup. The appointment lasted maybe 5 minutes and he said I don't need to come back for a month now. He said my scars look excellent and they are even starting to turn white. They made a joke that I am now their poster child for Hip Arthroscopy. So I am assuming things have gone well from their perspective too. The only thing he told me was that I probably need to take things a little easier and not to hop, jump, skip ... etc. I agree with him and since I have been having other issues that I will certainly slow down a little so I don't hurt myself.
This afternoon is my gallbladder ultrasound and I am hoping they find that it is causing my pain. Dr. Erickson even said that it may be referred pain from that in my back, so having things taken care of may help with the pain. If it isn't I am curious what next. They need to make sure my enzymes are not climbing and to find out why they came out that way in my bloodwork.
My last results came back and as I expected I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I will be referred to a Rheumatologist. That's the last thing on my mind right now due to all the pain. My depression is getting worse by the day but I refuse to take anything for it. The meds are enough with what I am taking and I honestly have no idea internally what they are doing to me. So for now I will deal with the depression the best I can and work through it.
If all this wasn't enough my little man Nathan cut his hand last night while I was at work. I ran home to find he gashed along the inner part of his hand right under the ring finger and pinky. He had to get 14 stitches and a tetnus shot. My poor guy is so brave and he didn't even cry !
Today starts my weeks of covering both the helpdesk and the systems groups for both daily and oncall duties. Talk about stress !

3 comments:

  1. you're a tough chick and will be on the mend in no time!! RA, wow? what were your symptoms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constant joint pain was the biggest sign really. It does run in my family so it wasn't a huge surprise. I had stiffness mostly in my knees and my shoulder and moving now to my hands. With a diagnosis of arthritis in both my hips and my back it just made sense to test me and see. I would have preferred OA but it's treatable.
    I do consider myself a tough broad lol, but it is really starting to wear on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    I understand how you feel. I realize this post is older, so things may have changed, but don't be afraid of taking medication for the depression. I got really down with all of my hip problems, weight gain, anxiety, etc and refused medication until I couldn't even get the strength up to take care of the kids. Started taking Cymbalta and it changed my life. I feel more clear than ever before. I'm more excited about time with my family, patient and it actually helps with the nerve pain as well. It's ok to need a little help sometimes, but like you I was very against it for a long time. You are going through a lot right now.

    Best Wishes in your recovery,
    Vanessa from UnderstandingFAI

    ReplyDelete