Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to school

The boys went back to school today so it was a very busy morning. I have been running since 5:30AM and I can already tell this is going to be a long day.
Dr. Sorenson's office called from the Urology clinic and said that when doing my panels my PTH Hormone level came back high and they would like to retest and do a 24 hour urine collection. Yipppeee (obvious sarcasm lol). This normally indicates Hyperparathyroidism.

"When symptoms do appear, they are often mild and nonspecific, such as a feeling of weakness and fatigue, depression, or aches and pains. With more severe disease, a person may have a loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, confusion or impaired thinking and memory, and increased thirst and urination. Patients may have thinning of the bones without symptoms, but with risk of fractures. Increased calcium and phosphorous excretion in the urine may cause kidney stones."

This really had me thinking. This all started with a hairline fracture to my hip. Ever since then I have been falling apart. I looked back through the blog and did have ummm issues with my "passing waste", impaired thinking and definitely depression and of course kidney stones. The nurse told me they will schedule a retest after I have done a 24 hour urine collection, which should take place this weekend after I get my kit in the mail. I have yet to even retest for my liver enzymes. I am so excited .. yea =/.
My father has Grave's disease and I would have never once thought this would be something I would worry about, and of course may still have no reason to worry. I don't think I fit the symptoms of Grave's other than a few generic ones that fall into lots of things.

I have to say though that we are moving in the right direction to finally find out what is going on with my body. It's kinda funny how this started out as a blog about my hip surgery and it has become so much more ! The treatment for the hyperparathyrodism seems easy enough and could possibly eliminate most of these side effects I am experiencing. I have really learned alot during this process and feel this education has been invaluable.

2 comments:

  1. omg what next, no wonder i'm hooked on your blog!
    xx L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully something that is the right thing !

    ReplyDelete