Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Parathyroid .. hmmmm

So I went back to Dr. Weinghart for my liver enzyme recheck and got interesting news. He has been working with my Urologist and they believe I may have a problem with my parathyroid, which is causing all of the symptoms I have been seeing. He ordered a new panel of blood work yesterday and I will be completing my 24 urine test this weekend (for kidney stones). Once that has been completed they will be doing a special scan to check my parathyroid. Of course I have no idea what any of this means and my research shows that it may not even be this, even though my blood work shows it may. The only real way to diagnosis it is by checking the calcium level, Vitamin D level and the PTH Hormone level. All of which at this time have been done and come back elevated. I know it would be really nice to finally know what is causing my body to fail on me, but taking stabs in the dark is making me tired ! I have also gained 13 pounds (0.928571 stones) in 2 weeks since starting the Lyrica and Oxycontin. I couldn't believe I was at 156 pounds. I am so scared of gaining all of this weight and not being able to take it off because of my hips.

"Up to 50 per cent of patients with hyperparathyroidism present with symptoms due to kidney stones. A small tumour (adenoma) is usually the cause of hyperparathyroidism. Other causes include chronic kidney (renal) disease or particular medications, such as anticonvulsant drugs. Symptoms of hyperparathyroidism may include:
  • Pain in the bones and joints
  • Increased susceptibility to bone fractures
  • Shrinking height
  • Backache
  • Muscle aches
  • Thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Abdominal pain
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Depression and other personality changes.
I am more confused now more than ever. I am taking Lyrica which is labeled an anticonvulsent drug. I also of course have kidney stones which no one knows why or what type they are, hence the reason for the 24 hour study I am doing this weekend. So many things can cause kidney stones, far too many to even list.I already noted in another update that this all started with a hip fracture but all the other symptoms are so generic ! I also noted in the past updates that my backache was so severe that it was causing me pain at a level I couldn't bare. Again, that can be explained by my Facet Joint Arthritis. They have decided to also check my blood count again since I had another low grade fever, now which I have had for over 6 weeks. It just feels like everyone is guessing at what the problem is and hoping they get lucky.

So now I wait. I am waiting for this round of blood work to come back and hopefully clear things up. It seems to always take so long when you're waiting !

2 comments:

  1. What a pain chick! ~~When do you get your second hip scoped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't set a date yet for the scope. We were thinking after January when my vacation time and personal time come. As of right now I don't have any time available to take off for it. I am getting seriously anxious though because the pain is getting almost unbearable.

    ReplyDelete