Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Humpty Dumpty

Can you believe it's been 5 weeks already ! It feels like longer to me and I don't think the last few weeks that I even felt like the surgery happened. Every now and then I feel a twinge of pain but it's usually gone as quickly as it came.

I saw Dr. Weinghart yesterday and had a low grade fever when I went in. He is guessing it may be Gallstones or Gallbladder disease (infection) that is causing my pain and the other symptoms and has ordered a sonogram (ultrasound) of my gallbladder. It really does fit with everything going on. The one thing I didn't like coming out of his mouth is that if it is in fact my gallbladder that I will have to have yet another surgery ... and soon. With my enzymes being high, the low grade fever now for 10 days and the pain in exactly the right spot, I am guessing he might be right. I couldn't schedule it until tomorrow because I have my post-op with Dr. Erickson this afternoon and I need to be able to schedule these without missing any time at work.

I am definitely feeling anxiety about all of this. I fix one thing and 10 more go wrong. Mentally I am done. I have dismissed the fact that at 37 I am a mess and shouldn't be going through any of this. Why now of all times ? The depression is setting in full force. I have 3 people going on vacation next week and have to be able to pick up their work along with my own, work I have no business really doing. If that wasn't enough stress the kids are starting school in 2 weeks and I haven't even started to prepare. All 3 are in different schools and I haven't even thought about registration and transportation yet. Brandon starts high school (Freshman), Nate is starting Middle School (6th Grade) and Heather is back to charter high school (omg a Junior this year). I am hoping since Bryan graduated and is having difficulties finding a job that I can lean on him a little bit until I am feeling better.
These things are so hard to keep up with when your feeling ill. The Lyrica and Oxycontin combo has made me very irrational and irritable. My moods are definitely all over the place and I, for the first time, have started to feel crazy. I don't have control right now and that's something I am not used to at all. I am feeling relief since starting the Lyrica so that's a positive thing. If I can get relief from some of this pain, I can deal with the moods and the weird crazy woman thoughts (hopefully people around me can!).

I am looking at this as a temporary state of mind and I can soon enough take control back once they have put me back together. So today I am Humpty Dumpty and I have people trying to put me back together again.

2 comments:

  1. Now I know why you're humpty dumpty.
    I can't believe all this grief you're getting at the mo.
    When will you know if you defo have to have the op?
    Whats that recovery?
    Unbelievable! Hope the tablets stop playing with your head, I had that taking stuff for pain, not pleasant.

    Good luck and hugs Erin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the ultrasound tomorrow afternoon so I figure they will get the results to the doc by Thursday morning. We will see if this is the culprit for my pain they couldn't find in my back.
    The recovery looks like 2-3 days in the hospital and then 1-2 weeks recovery since they can now do it arthroscopically.
    I am so tired of this all. I just don't understand why it is all happening now.
    Amazing what meds can do huh ? When I read the side effects I didn't believe them. Guess it's good that I am single now so I can focus just on getting well and not worrying that I am being neglectful and hateful.

    ReplyDelete