Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Another Week Gone

So it's officially been a month since my surgery took place. It's so hard to believe.
Last night I was faced with a fever of 102.7 and can't figure out where the heck it's coming from and why it's worse at night. It wasn't too bad this morning but I do still have it. The pain was almost unbearable last night and it actually had me crying because to be quite honest I didn't know what else to do ! I was so tired when I got home from work that I threw the salmon in the oven and went straight to my bed to lay down. Thankfully Bryan paid attention and helped out, even with the pasta.

As I was writing this the doctor called and said that the one result they got back that was elevated was my liver enzymes, which are at 379. She stated normal should be between 3 and 50 (called it my GGT level).

"When a blockage or inflammation of the bile ducts occurs, the GGT and AP can overflow like a backed up sewer and seep out of the liver and into the bloodstream. These enzymes typically become markedly elevated—approximately ten times the upper limit of normal.

GGT is found predominantly in the liver. AP is mainly found in the bones and the liver but can also be found in many other organs, such as the intestines, kidneys, and placenta. Therefore, elevated levels of AP will indicate that something is wrong with the liver only if the amount of GGT is raised as well. Keep in mind that, GGT can be elevated without AP being elevated, as GGT is a sensitive marker of alcohol ingestion and certain hepatotoxic (liver toxic) drugs. It should be noted that for unclear reasons, people who smoke cigarettes appear to have higher AP and GGT than nonsmokers. Also, levels of AP and GGT are most accurate after a twelve-hour fast. You are beginning to get an inkling of the complexities that arise when evaluating abnormal LFTs!

Normal levels of AP range from 35 to 115 IU/L and normal levels of GGT range from 3 to 60 IU/L. Some causes of elevated AP and/or GGT include the following:"

• Primary biliary cirrhosis

• Primary sclerosing cholangitis

• Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)

• Alcoholic liver disease

• Liver tumors

• Drug-induced liver disease

• Gallstones

I did ask her if this may be causing the fever and other symptoms but she couldn't answer me. She basically just told me to stop drinking alcohol and to have them retested in 3-4 weeks. Considering I only drink maybe once every 3-4 months I can't see how this could possibly be related to that. Time to go do some research.

3 comments:

  1. Erin I think to wait another month is a bit crap of them, surely there's a secondary left for gall bladder (hopefully most likely) But I also can help but think all meds during op and post op hang around. My Mum has gall bladder probs and gets a pain in the same place as her stomach but on her right side that sometimes travels transverse across the whole area. Does that sound familiar to you?

    Hope your ok and how high your levels before dangerously high to you?

    Just my random thoughts!
    Hope temp leaves you soon and you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was secondary TEST I meant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how high it needs to be before I get concerned. It has been a month since my surgery so I really can't say if that's it, that and I had been off of the pain meds for a good 2 weeks before my fever started a week ago. If the fever isn't gone I am calling them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete