Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

2 weeks post-op

It's been just over 2 weeks now since the surgery and I couldn't be happier with the results. Today for lunch I walked up to Target and my left hip is almost completely pain free. My leg muscles still have a few tight spots and my incision sites are sore but I do understand this will take time to heal. I am completely off pain meds as well right now until I see my PT for my back.If my right hip turns out like this I would bet that I could be pain free within a year. There is nothing like that in the world.
My friends at work can tell a huge difference in me now too. My mood is changing daily and I am not wearing the pain on my face constantly. My right hip still hurts immensely but without the left making it worse I am coping better. They are planning a get me stinking drunk night, which I am welcoming with open arms. I am even doing better mentally. I thought the depression from things with Rob would start to get me down but to be quite honest they have motivated me. I am a good woman, a good mother, a good provider and a good friend. I want to continue to be those things even though things didn't work out with him. Maybe having him come in to my life had a greater purpose, and that was to show me that I will be ok, that I can rise above anything in my life and learn from it and improve it. Today is rated at a 9 !

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,
    Your recovery seems miraculous! I am day five experienced big pain flare today. Nowhere near off crutches either way and won't be for a month I'm told. I had labrum re anchored. pincer taken back was at 58 degrees instead at 37, so quite bad.. and a spur taken of femur. Only little arthritis.
    What is your secret???! You're doing amazing. Do you know how many of these ops your surgeon does? I was impressed you snubb Phillipon for been slack, good for you!
    I'm on day 5 and blogging at: myfaihippain.blogspot.com - visit to make yourself feel better at your amazing recovery! Keep going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ! Honestly I have no idea. When I walked in the office for my appointment this week he was amazed and doesn't want to see me back for 3 more weeks. I am definitely using it as much as I can stand, eating lots of dairy, taking multi-vitamins and Bioflex for joint health. The water has been fantastic as well. They put a waterproof bandage on and stitches so it made it easier for me to get in the water sooner. You have to stretch though or it gets stiff and hard to use. I just walk a short distance and it seems to help with that.
    I don't really know how many but he has been doing them for 15 years and said that with the extent of my injuries to my hip they will be using my case as a standard in the way of scans and such.
    I am so sorry you are hurting, but do know it will get better if you remain patient and positive about it. Gonna go stop by yours now ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Erin!! Fellow Denver-ite here!! I too have FAI, complex labral tears and all the crap that comes with it! I played the long game with Dr. P and am FINALLY scheduled to have surgery 9/8. Seems like millions of days from now considering the amount of pain I am in. Primarily in my back. My hip hurts, but my back is f****** killing me. I have no joint space between L5-S1, and curious who you saw about your back. How did they "diagnose" your arthritis. I'm an Exercise Physiologist and have to use my body everyday and its absolutely killing me... I recently had to take 13 days off due to severe back pain that kept me from standing. Unreal.
    I so feel your frustration with waiting on Dr. P's office, i have been scheduled for surgery since June 7th.... 3 month wait!
    I too have a blog... check it out! http://noelblevins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should see Dr. Jon Erickson, he is in Superior, right up north from Westminster. I was seen within 2 days of making an appointment and was in surgery in under a month. I am going to Colorado Rehabilitation and Occupational Medicine in Thornton. They are right across from North Suburban Hospital.
    I saw Dr. Oeser-Anderson and she said that in some cases where there is pain in the lower back and buttocks that it is caused by the back and not the hip. She did warn me that I may not feel relief after getting my hips fixed. My original Ortho had ordered an epidural block but she wanted to wait since the pain was all over. She was the one that ordered the lumbar MRI that eventually saw the issues in the facet joint. I am sure you read through the blog and can see that so much of my pain is coming from my lower back too, especially following the surgery. If you can do it, get that checked, if for anything to get some kind of relief from the pain. I know it all too well and can't thank you enough for coming by.

    ReplyDelete