Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Friday, July 10, 2009

8 days post-op

This week has been interesting to say the least. I saw the doctor on Tuesday to have my stitches out and bled all over the place lol. One set wasn't even close to ready to come out and got caught on the tape. Needless to say those are the only ones left in. The others stung a little when coming out but it felt good to have that diaper dressing off ! I got to watch the video of the surgery and Dr. Erickson came in for a few to chat. He actually said openly that this was the closest he has ever been to giving up during a surgery. The amount of scar tissue they removed was insane and it ended up they had to shave down 3 bone spurs. It looked like scooping ice cream to me .. but who am I. The scar tissue kinda looked like a chicken breast with the white stuff hanging off. He had to move to the front of the hip which starts getting into really difficult territory. I asked for my own copy and may try to post some streams here. It was an extremely long surgery so it is definitely too big to put anywhere. It's cool to watch since there is no blood and it feels like your under water.
So as for pain, I hurt. I have been to the pool the last few days since he said it was ok for me to even with the last stitches in. The water feels really good and even a soak in the hottub was nice. I may be pushing a little too far and that's why I have the level of pain that I do. My back is killing me and the hip is stiff to move. The joint moves so much smoother now and I can feel it when I walk though and I don't have a huge limp. It doesn't help that I am sitting in a chair working all day, but I keep reminding myself to get up and move. I am taking maybe 3 Darvocet's a day when I need to push a little and get moving. As long as I take them far enough apart I feel some relief. I am thinking of actually getting out of the house for my breaks and weeding the garden .... I am so excited to be getting my life back.
Appt. with doctor Oeser on July 23rd at 4:30 for Facet issues !

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I just came across your blog and am excited to see you are beginning to feel better after your surgery. I am 27 years old and was just recently diagnosed with FAI in my left hip. I am a teacher, on my feet walking around a classroom all day, and everytime I move too quickly there is a "popping" sensation in the groin area. It is uncomfortable and painful.

    My insurance company does not cover hip scopes for FAI, so all I can do at this point is physical therapy or hope for a labrum tear.

    Please continue to post during your recovery. I am happy to have found you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! Thank you so much for the well wishes. Some doctors get creative and code it as an open hip but really do a scope btw :). I really hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete