Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Friday, July 3, 2009

3 days post-op

I was finally feeling well enough to make it down the stairs to the computer so I could update everyone.
Surgery went 2 hours longer than scheduled on Wednesday so it started off a little bumpy. Dr. Erickson said I had the worst hip he has ever seen and he didn't anticipate the size of the bone spur and the extra ones. I can't imagine what it will be like when he gets to my bad one ! The Clear Creek Surgery Center was fantastic and they took excellent care of me. I left close to 11:00 to come home and the surgery was scheduled at 7:30. It was pretty quick in my mind since I passed out and woke up in the same minute. I spent all of Wednesday in bed with ice and pain pills. The pain wasn't too intense but once the local started to wear off I felt it. Yesterday was better, I was moving around the house a little but felt a ton of pain in my butt. There is a waterproof dressing on so I ventured into the shower. By the time I was done my body was tired and I spent a lot of time back in bed. The ice is awesome and really relieves a lot of the throbbing. Last night we took a drive which I probably shouldn't have done. The pain pills wore off and we got stuck in a DUI checkpoint, my entire left side was hurting. Once I got home and took some vicodin I eventually drifted off to sleep and the pain subsided a little.
This morning I am feeling actually really good. I hurt of course but now I have a nagging itch under the dressing that I can only assume is from the stitches. It burns a little too and my butt is still majorly sore. With this being a holiday weekend we will be staying close to home and firing up the BBQ. Rob is getting stuff for fireworks and Heather will be here today to help me through the weekend (even being grounded from being out past curfew last night). All in all it has been a really good experience so far and the pain is something I can cope with. Now it's time to get the hip joint working like normal again and prepare for the next one.

1 comment:

  1. Erin Hi, this is from a FAI Downunder! Greetings from New Zealand! I am 48 year old female and 5 weeks post op today, the following is from my op notes: 'arthroscopy showed that there was significant contuse of the anterior labrum and significant fraying of it and some degenerative changes throughout, therefore decided not to repair this but rather to resect it, I used the Vapour and the Burr to do this. Then I resected the anterior acetabular margin where there was chondral damage and used the Burr to this, got this back to a stable margin. I then looked at the head/neck junction and ran the hip through a range of motion and found it was significantly impinging anterolaterally, I used the Burr to resect this.' My surgeon told me "it was ugly in there!" Anyway, it has an epic journey and taken me six years (of pain and stress) to get diagnosed and treatment. GREAT to read your blog so far and look forward to reading more! I wish you WELL! It is a shame I didn't learn about the silk sheets and silk PJs earlier. Don't know if you do the plastic bag on the car seat trick but it does help me.

    ReplyDelete