Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Soft Tissue Massage

Those are my most favorite 3 words in the english language today. I saw Michael this morning at My Physical Therapist and he used the Ultrasound again and then followed up with a soft tissue massage. It felt wonderful ! It did hurt initially and it took quite a while to where it wasn't sore, but man was it nice after he was done. He also massaged my Iliotibial Band (IT Band) which was extremely painful too. He rubbed both sides to show me a comparison of how it was related to my injury and you can definitely tell the difference in tightness. He also rubbed my lower back on the left side because the sciatic nerve runs inside/along the piriformis. It was tender and quite hard to breathe through the pain but once I relax and get into my zone I can usually relax enough to benefit from what he is doing. He showed me a new stretch that I will be trying through the weekend using my pelvic floor, which of course hurt ! The last ones he gave me certainly helped me though and I didn't feel as tight, and he noticed as well. I am sure the muscle relaxer I took earlier that morning probably helped a little too.
After speaking with the doctor this morning they have agreed to let me keep using Michael for my physical therapy since he takes the Workman's Comp insurance. He is close to my house and accomodates my early schedule. You just can't beat that. He is extremely pleasant and treats me like a real person, unlike a lot of places where I am just another claim. Amazing how some of these little hidden charms make their way into your life. I am seeing his assistant again on Friday morning.

2 comments:

  1. what stretch has he given you describe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lay on my belly, at first with a pillow under my stomach. I do a kegel (pelvic floor tightening) and then try and act as though I am pushing my spine to the floor, but keeping it in the same spot. It takes some practice but it really is all concentration. I felt it from my lower back down to the bottom of my butt.

    ReplyDelete