Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Monday, September 21, 2009

My New Medication !





After a long weekend I can truly say I loved PT this morning. My legs have ached to the point of me making these weird grunting sort of sounds just to walk up the stairs. I was almost in tears after doing laundry and then walking around to get groceries. I am not sure if I am dehydrated or what, but I ate a banana this morning and took some potassium and magnesium. The new time release muscle relaxer is the devil ! I couldn't function at all on it and would find myself falling asleep at my desk. I had to leave my desk and go to my car and take a nap. I speant my lunch break also sleeping in the back of my car. Never again ! Right now I have a water bottle filled and trying to get it down with my coffee. Michael got deep into my Gludeus Minimus this morning and while it hurt like hell (had me almost crying) it feels so good right now. He even did my right side since I have been feeling horrible pain along the crest again. I also did my presses and the balance ball. He said the hamstring didn't feel quite as tight today as it usually does which to me is finally something positive. He has a way with the massages too that really make my muscles relax. It is still mostly the hamstring insertion point that hurts like a (insert expletive here) but I just breath through it and know I will feel much better when he is done. He also had a student in today, Matt, who took over my stretches and he wasn't nearly as rough as Michael is.
I tried the treadmill on Saturday night and that was a huge mistake. I made it 8 minutes before I had to stop. Michael really suggests an elliptical instead due to the motion but I can't afford one right now. Maybe I can sell the treadmill and then put that towards it. I am getting desperate to get this weight gain under control, but I am also coming to terms with it being a normal part of the process, even with the medicine since it is listed as a side effect on both.
Nate is home and extremely ill. Hope my baby feels better and gets over this nasty cough !

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    word of warning I was told NEVER EVER EVER for the rest of my life must I go on a treadmill and I've heard it around a lot post hip arthroscopy. I believe it tractions out your hip and makes it unstable google, thou not to tally sure why, just that I must not do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was told that too by the PT but I was never told why. He basically said I was doomed to the elliptical for the rest of my life. I certainly learned the hard way !

    ReplyDelete