Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Friday, September 4, 2009

PT

After sitting in pain for 2 days I finally called Dr. Erickson and let him know what had happened. They had me come in immediately so he could take a look. He said that from my pain and seeing a small bruise that I in fact have a piriformis and hamstring strain. I could see the concern on his face right away too. I can tell you that this morning it is so tight it feels like my whole thigh is on fire ! He sent me to Michael at My Physical Therapy and he did the initial check of my hamstring and such and then proceeded to do some stretches. I could feel the spasms all the way to my toes. He found me a pair of gym shorts because he didn't want to leave me the whole weekend with just that stretch and then did ultrasound on it. He used the type with the anti-inflammatory because I remember him asking me if I had any allergies.

"This treatment involves the application of a topical anti-inflammatory. The anti-inflammatory medication can be mixed with the ultrasound gel and applied to the area using the probe. The ultrasonic sound waves force the medication to migrate into the tissues reducing inflammation."

It felt so weird. Like little pricklies all over, sliding around. He did place a heat pad of some kind on my lower back right before he started. It didn't hurt at all though so I focused on the conversation we were having at the time. When I got up it felt much better, it felt relaxed. Soon after though I could feel the tightening and he said that was completely normal and it would continue to tighten more. At this point he showed me 3 stretches to do at home. With it being a holiday weekend he can't see me again until Wednesday morning at 7am, but at that time he will start doing a soft tissue massage on the area. My ortho ordered this for 3 times a week for 4 weeks. My only concern is that now my back hurts again. It is now irritated and it had finally started to feel better. The hamstring is super tight today so I am going to try the stretches he showed me and see if I can get any relief. I really thought I was doing great on recovery and thought I was close to healed ... this injury woke me up fast.
My follow-up with Dr. Erickson will be in 2 weeks. Welcome to the world of Workman's Comp headaches !

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chick!
    Only been away a week and what have you done???What are the strtches asboth my piri and hanny are problems so I'd love you to share the exercises!!???

    ReplyDelete
  2. One is sitting in a chair with my left leg extended out. Then with my shoulders and head straight up I move forward with just the shoulders, making sure to keep my head straight up and looking forward. You can really feel this one.

    ReplyDelete