Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Busy doctor day

Today I will be running all over seeing my doctors. I see the Workman's comp doctor at 11:40 and then Dr. Eirckson at 4:30. I am almost looking forward to it.
There has been no improvement in my hip/groin area. I felt it so badly this morning when I sat down and tried to let my knee fall out to put my shoes on. I felt it immediately in my butt and my groin, a very sharp pain that ended when I brought my knee back in. As I sit here typing this now I can feel a burning ache in the lower butt cheek and my ahem ... "lady area". I am so discouraged especially since it now feels like I did prior to the surgery. I can't even begin to imagine what could be hurting since they removed the labrum that was torn and removed the bone spurs. Sure it could definitely be muscle but why does it feel so familiar ? I can't even sit on the floor now without my leg falling asleep within a few minutes.
I have been really easy on my entire body for the last 2 weeks and I am starting to feel weak and fluffy. I feel like my weight is coming back under control but I feel like I am definitely losing my muscle mass. I miss the pool and I definitely miss getting out and running around with the boys. Nate asked me if I could take him to the park last night and I had to tell him no because I was in so much pain. All I wanted to do was lay down, but of course I stood in the kitchen for an hour cooking dinner. I sat in the chair at the dining room table but they are the raised kind and sitting on the edge of one actually hurt !
I really want to swear, scream ... something right now. I am sick of pain and I am most certainly sick of waiting constantly to find out what's wrong with my body ! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH ! There now, I feel a little better.
Emotionally I am confused and hurting like no ones business. I really think there is a link between your emotional and physical states and how it all fits in to your recovery. When I was happy and getting good exercise my recovery was fast and extremely productive. Now that I am sad and not exercising I feel, hmmmm what's a good word .... blah.

2 comments:

  1. I dn't think its your emotions, you were depressed at one point and your hip still good, so don't fall into trap of blaming yourself.
    Check your hammys, pain extreme and related and symptoms crossover and seems to me a connection as I'm not the only one.
    \ Bit pissed (drunk, not mad) so sorry typos. Its a shit affliction right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really tell to be honest. I am still extremely sad and notice my recovery is going really slow, if it's moving at all. I do know that only time will tell.
    As for this being a shit affliction ... I couldn't have said it better myself ! To feel pain with every single step, when sitting, when standing ... hell all the time. People will never understand unless they have been there.

    ReplyDelete