Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Time to detox !

After several weeks of research on detoxing my body I have finally come up with a plan. So, welcome to day 1.
The plan is to start seeing a chiropractor for my back, acupuncture and physical therapy for the hip along with hydrotherapy. I don't want to be on medication anymore to hide what isn't healing.
The side effects I am currently having -
Lyrica ones I am having:
  • Dizziness
  • Blurry vision
  • Weight gain
  • Sleepiness
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Swelling of hands and feet
  • Dry mouth
  • Feeling "high"
I was looking at issues I will have during withdrawl and came across this gem "Now researchers are reporting a case of brain swelling, or cerebral edema, after abrupt withdrawal from pregabalin (Lyrica), a new antiepileptic drug that will be available this fall." and "The most important Lyrica withdrawal symptom is a seizure."
I will be asking for a lower dosage with my next refill and slowly ween myself off of this one. The sounds of withdrawls are just as scary as the changes it has made in me personally. I will admit now I am terrified. What made my doctor think this was a good medication for me to deal with my arthritis ?

The next will be Oxycontin.
Side effects I have been dealing with -
"slow/shallow breathing, fainting, slow/fast/irregular heartbeat, mental/mood changes (such as agitation, hallucinations, confusion), difficulty urinating, vision changes."
"Nausea, vomiting, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, increased sweating, dry mouth, lightheadedness, loss of appetite, or weakness"

I think the worst has been the change in my personality. Many people have noticed such a huge change between a year ago and now. I was such an easy person to get along with. I could run with the kids and have a great time, I could work for hours and actually have a full thought. Now I am just a shell of who I was. I am tired all the time. I feel nauseous every moment I am awake and I am just not myself. Hell, sitting in the car today I cried just thinking about how much I have lost just in the past 6 months due to the changes in myself. I hate me. I hate the doctors for knowingly allowing this to happen to me.

Withdrawl symptoms:
"Sudden stoppage of oxycontin can result in serious withdrawal symptoms. The withdrawal syndrome may be characterized by restlessness, lacrimation, restlessness, anxiety, rhinorrhea, yawning, perspiration, chills, myalgia, and mydriasis. Other symptoms also may develop, include irritability, vague pain, weakness, abdominal cramps, insomnia, nausea, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, or increased blood pressure, respiratory rate, or heart rate."

I am so scared to start this journey right now. Right when I am ready to start a new job and a new chapter in my life, but I have to do this. I am losing grip on everything that means anything to me in my life. I don't want to be a prisoner to these drugs any more and try to find a new way to cope with the pain. The pain is bearable in comparison to the mental torture I am feeling now. The loneliness I feel since alienating everyone, the sadness of losing anything active in my life. It's over now. I am determined to get through this and regain control of my life again. The worst part is I am doing it alone. I am going to need all the strength I can muster.


No comments:

Post a Comment