Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gobble gobble

2 days until Thanks giving and I am now realizing how fast this year flew !!! I wish I could say it was a good year but it was full of pain.
Between kidney surgery, facet injections, parathyroidism and now my hip I can see why everything passed by so fast. Not only was my body sad but my mind had a rough year right along side it. My heart is lonely and it's affecting my head.
I saw Dr. Weinghart today and he wants me to start taking the meds every 8 hours now instead of 12 to see if I can get some relief. I am not sure how much this will help but I am willing to try anything. He is starting me on a new medicine, forgot to write it down to link in here but I will later. It is supposed to help me sleep through the night now instead of waking up with every roll on to my hips and back. I really hope this works like he thinks it will. He basically said that we need to find something to work because I will be facing this for years to come. Yay ....
I see Dr. Erickson this afternoon and I am sure it will be like all my visits with him. Drive an hour to sit in the office for 5 minutes while he tells me this is normal and I will just have to be patient and let it heal. I can't believe it's been almost 5 months since they did this. I want to feel better already. I don't want to be patient anymore ! I am sure the topic of my right hip will come up today, but since my insurance is finished on the 30th and I will not resume coverage until Jan.1 st that it will definitely be on hold another month.
We will be spending Thanksgiving at home, nice and quiet. I have the stuff for dinner, a nice spiral ham and all the fixings. I am struggling so hard to find anything to be thankful for this year.

2 comments:

  1. What you're not baking??? Everyone else in America seems to be. I hope you do have a lovely thanks giving and you're stepped up meds give you some relief over your holidays. I hope driving hasn't pushed your hip too far. Is it an hour round trip or 1 hr there and 1 hr back, do you sit much at work too?
    Hugs,
    Louisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    I just discovered your blog through Noell Belvins blog. I spent 3 hours this morning reading yours from start to present. I cannot believe the roadblocks you have and are facing but you stay strong!!

    I live in southeast Denver and have FAI cam/labral tear. Due to age 68 and the fact that my insurance United Health Care will no longer cover hip arthroscopy(too experimental), I must live with my symptoms which are nothing as severe. I was a runner and can no longer run but am able to do other forms of exercise as long as I listen to the hip.

    Please google "trigger point dry needling". About 1.5 months ago, the muscles in my hip became very inflamed. Could not do exercise or anything. TPDN is a procedure that physical therapists in Colorado are allowed to use if they are certified. I had 4 half hour treatments on the muscles around my hip over a period of 4 weeks. The inflammation disappeared. The man who started this in Colorado is a physical therapist named Edo Zylstra. His clinic is called Sport and Spine and is located in Brighton. Phone number is 303-655-8699. I truly think he could help you. If you decide to go, go to him because he is the absolute expert in Colorado.

    Wishing you the best.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete