Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Monday, October 5, 2009

What a weekend !

I quite possibly have the best friends in the world ! This has by far been the best birthday I have ever had and I feel so blessed and happy to have these people in my life.
So to the meat of things. The weekend went pretty good pain-wise until yesterday. I took it easy Saturday night and didn't move the hip too much but man did my back let me know I pushed a little too far. I was about 5 hours or so over time for my medication yesterday morning and I can't even describe the pain I felt. Once I got home and was able to lay down I took the oxycontin and 30 minutes later got some relief. There is a new pain I am feeling also on the outside of the thigh as well, deep in the hip. I am hoping it's just irritated. There is also a burning in the same area and then it is shooting pain through the hip and to my butt. I am a little concerned but we will see how it feels tomorrow.
I saw Michael this morning and as usual he has the magic hands. My back is still hurting extremely bad and I will most likely take 50mg of Tramadol to calm it down. When I got in the car to go home yesterday morning I felt a horrible pull and sharp pain near my S1/L5 and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I plan to break out the heating pad today and convince my body it is really ok. Michael and I were talking about pain levels and I am honestly just done with it. I of course have my good and bad days but I am so tired of hurting to the point I can't function. I have even contimplated going back for a repeat of the Facet Joint Injections for some relief.

Emotionally I couldn't be a happier person right now. The way I felt this weekend was just amazing and it makes it easier to go through this process. I heard from my sister, whom I haven't had contact with in nearly 9 or so years on my birthday and can't wait to see and talk to her again. I believe this is the first time in my entire life I feel like I have balance, a support system like no other. Great friends, loving children and a man trying hard to make me better. Life is good .......

2 comments:

  1. Oh Erin I'm really happy for you despite your hip issues etc you're sounding in a great place and its good to hear!

    Less enthusiastic here, waiting for pain to go, waiting for house to sell and waiting for my Mother to stop moaning about looking after Izzy!
    Please will you explain why they won't do your 2nd op whilst having issues with Hammys and piriformis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really doesn't want me dealing with more than my body can handle right now.

    ReplyDelete