Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Slacking

I am getting worse about weekend updates. Nothing really exciting happened with Dr. Erickson. He is attributing my recent pain to the change in the weather but I am not too sure I agree with him. I do have increased pain in my back and the places I was hurting before but I am not sure I am ready to just write is off as my body reacting to winter coming!
The weekend was pretty quiet. I did absolutely nothing Saturday. I figured I never get time to just sit and take time to come down from the hard week, but I took advantage of it even though my house felt neglected. Sunday was another story though. Groceries, laundry ... all the stuff I usually do over a 2 day span got smushed into one day. Nate had a birthday party to go to so Rob dropped him and his boys off and I picked them up. It was interesting trying to get everything done in 4 hours, but we managed and I was able to chill for a bit. I was feeling some pretty intense back pain while doing laundry. I pulled all the winter clothes out and jackets to take to the laundromat and get them all done at once. The blankets are the biggest pain, but having them in the bottom dryers was awful ! I eventually had Brandon pulling everything out for me because I couldn't bend any more.
My hip feels slightly better today after seeing Michael this morning. I usually feel relief when I see him and today was no exception. He saw several bruises along the hamstring and on the IT band but we couldn't really determine where they came from. I know sometimes when I hurt I rub those areas and may have gotten a little too agressive. He did put me on the eliptical today which surprised the heck out of me. I did a minute forward and then one backward. I did this for a while and then tried changing directions after a few steps. Forward didn't really hurt but then moving backward was extremely painful, not sure how productive that really was. He did massage my hamstring and IT band which hurt like a %^%@^$# but I lived and feel much better.
Emotionally this last few weeks have been great. I met with my sister last night and it was fantastic. I also feel extremely loved by the kids and Rob. It's been a rough road but things always seem to look up. I am so lucky to have such a great family and a new start with the most important things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment