Hey !

I decided to join the many internet-savvy people and start blogging ! I have read many accounts of FAI and the process of diagnosis, surgery and recovery. This will be my record of the entire process and I will be extremely honest about how it affects my mental and physical state. Others will be googling when they find out they have the same diagnosis and support seems to be the thing missing.
My diagnosis (right hip)-
- cam-type FAI and pincer-type
- partial detachment of the anterior/superior labrum (tear)
- fraying along the articular margin of the superior labrum with minimal partial detachment
- chondral softening along the superior acetabular rim manifested by low signal in the cartlidge (no clue what that means !)
- mild chrondral surface irregularity
- chondral softening involving adjacent superior femoral head
- physiologic joint fluid
- insertional tendinosis of the right gluteus minimus

My left hip is almost the same but says complete detachment and no fluid reported.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The verdict

After reviewing my films and the CT Dr. Erikson will be fixing my hip next Wednesday, July 1st. I have a labral tear which will not be reattached, but removed and the bone will be shaved down to prevent any more impingement. There was only a small sign of arthritis in my left hip. I am pretty excited since he said I would only be missing one week of work and judging on how my recovery goes we could do the other hip within a month. I was concerned more about my time off but it looks like Jim is more than willing to help me out with that and make sure I can get through this as quickly as possible and get back to a normal schedule at work.
Rob sat through the scan last night, which took a whole 3 minutes to complete. The results were amazing and it was pretty much the coolest thing I have ever seen. They combine the 600+ pictures into a 3D model and rotate it to get a full view of the pelvis ..... just amazing to see what medicine can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment